On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Ben Russo wrote:

[...]

> A person who is a UNIX guru, and knew PC hardware well,
> could take the RHCE and pass it *IF* he just had more time
> to take the EXAM.

Maybe, maybe not. There are things which are very Linux
(and PC) specific. E.g. the bootloaders. And various other
Unix flavors differ quite significantly among them. What Unix
systems are you talking about ? All of them ?

> A person who knows RedHat on PC hardware extremely well,
> might pass the RHCE exam,

That's basically the idea of the exam. Isn't it ?

> but not be able to impress me as a System Admin.

OK, what does then impress you ? :-)

> There were several people I know very well who are
> *Damn-Good* Sys-Admins with 20 years of experience
> and who can write GUI X-windows Games in standard C code

This is IMHO definitely not a required skill for a sysadmin.

> in their sleep that couldn't pass that RHCE exam.
>
> There were also people in the exam with me who had no
> real enterprise experience at all, but who had worked with
> their workstation and home firewall on PC hardware for
> a year or two and studied hard and aced the exam.

Any "exam" will be limited in scope due to their time restrictions.

So first, ask yourself what that piece of paper wants to prove ?

And second, IMHO any certificate is good only to shut up people
who do not know better.

Cheers,
--
Ryurick M. Hristev mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Computer Systems Manager