On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 16:28, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> Bret Hughes wrote:
>
> >yep.  Not too scalable is it?
> >

>     This is why I thought of just linking them through a HUB
> instead...but I wasn't sure how the default network gw-ing was gonna
> work.  I'm still pondering.

I believe that the ifup scripts will create a route for the subnet
specified in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth? just like it did
for your one interface.

It should not affect the default route at all as that is typically set
at a higher level in /etc/sysconfig/network

The default gateway is only used if the kernel cannot find a subnet
corresponding to the  ipaddress of an outging packet on one of the
active interfaces.

BTW you can also use route to set a gateway (other than the default) for
a known subnet to a specific machine.  I did that on our firewall box
with the ipaddress pointing to our test lan so we can get to machines
there from any machine on our primary lan.  The gateway to the test lan
is a dual homed machine on the private lan.  It causes icmp redirect
calles but it sure is easier than manually configuring all machines to
see the route.

>  PS: Mozilla says your name is spelled wrong, Bert...  <grin>

Well, I guess that is better than Brat which I have also seen as
suggested spelling.

Bret