Chad Skinner wrote:

| I don't know about the RHCE, but I personnaly don't know the MD5sums or
| filesizes for every binary on my system. Seems common knowledge, or at
least
| a common answer on the list, that rebuilding a compromized box is the
safest
| method to ensure that all replaced binaries are restored.

That's where RPM comes in. As long as you're using it's packages and
haven't recompiled them yourself, the stored MD5sums within the database
should be accurate.

Man RPM and look at the --verify/-V switch.

Example:

rpm -V rpm
rpm -V fileutils
rpm -V e2fsprogs

might be the first step I'd take.

It will notify you if the following has changed:

File Size
Mode (includes permissions and file type)
MD5 sum
Device major/minor number mis-match
readLink(2) path mis-match
User ownership
Group ownership
mtime

I'd be appaled if a work was able to modify the rpm database too in
order to bypass this method of verification.

Another good tool would be to run chkrootkit on the box. Check
http://www.chkrootkit.org/ for more info.

| This is a lack of knowledge question, but why would you assume chattr has
| been replaced and not rm?

Good question - it could be either. Either chattr has been replaced with
a binary equivelant of /bin/true (for example), or rm has been modified
(or neither - and it's something entirely different).

Bottom line is which will take you more time? Replacing a few binaries
verified changed and then patching your system, or reinstalling? The
more experienced admin will probably opt for the former.

- -Rick
- --
Rick Johnson, RHCE - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Linux/WAN Administrator - Medata, Inc. (from home)
PGP Key: https://mail.medata.com/pgp/rjohnson.asc