On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 11:22:23AM -0500, David Colburn wrote:
> That said, the immediate case of proprietary Web site coding and
> incompatible font collections seems to be pretty readily addressed.
>
> 1.  Proprietary Web coding: When such a Web site is opened the RH user
> should receive a pop-up that labels the site defective and recommends an
> E-mail to the site Webmaster.  An automatic E-mail to some central site
> that lists such defective Web sites and that dispatches a short list of
> recommendations to Webmasters to fix their sites should also be built
> in.
>
> 2.  Can RedHat (and others) automatically ID proprietary fonts in use,
> trigger a background E-mail to a "defective" Web site listing (as above)
> and then automatically substitute a non-proprietary font that is close
> enough to make the Web site look OK to the user?

I haven't laughed so hard in quiet a while.  You seem to be making the
assumption that the webmaster will actually fix the problem!  In
many/most cases, the webmaster does not have the software necessary to
test different browsers, and many won't have the time.  After all, IE is
so dominant that they can ignore the rest and not lose any sleep.

At my own company, our internal web site does not display properly in
Mozilla/Netscape.  We've talked to our webmaster, and he simply says
that IE is the company standard and to go away.  One day our CIO was
doing a demo and fired up Netscape, only to have it screw up.  The web
site is still broken to this day and this is a few years later.

Don't forget that some of the problems are caused by the tools that
webmasters use to develop their sites.  Those tools (I believe Frontpage
falls in this category) assume that IE is the browser and will fail to
generate compliant code.  Is the tool broken?  Sure it is.  Will those
tool developers fix the tools?  Probably not, if history is any
prediction of the future.  Should we stop buying broken tools?  Yup.
Will we?  Nope.  Sucks, doesn't it?

IE is where it's at, and if we can't be bug for bug compatible, then
we're not going to achieve world domination.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]