Although the odds of this happening are remote -- if your running crond
(which most systems are), then sendmail should really be started prior to
crond starting. Especially if your cronjobs use the MAILTO variable to
override where stdout/stderr are sent. Another "remote" possiblity where an
MTA should be running prior to a service starting... httpd/squirrelmail.

Steve Cowles