On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Mike Burger wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> >

> > >     Does anyone see anything wrong with moving sendmail's init script
> > > from S80 to S99 (and the same for K80 -> K99) ?
> >
> > in what /etc/rc?.d directory are you talking about doing this?
> > also, the startup scripts are normally done in the reverse order
> > from the kill scripts.
> >
> > so your question is not well defined.
>
> I'm not sure I agree with this assessment.  In all honesty, I don't think
> it makes even the slightest bit of difference which runlevel he's asking
> about.

sure it does since, as all of the K and S files are simply
symlinks into /etc/init.d, it's possible to configure the
run-level directories independently from each other.  not that
that would make much sense, but it's certainly possible.

in addition, sendmail is only started in *some* of the
run levels, so i'll stick with my original position.

anyway, i see no immediate reason why sendmail can't be
moved later in the startup sequence, and earlier in the
kill sequence.  that should also involve editing the
sendmail script itself and changing those values at the
top of the script.

rday