Hi Andy,

again my response below.

Il 22/03/2023 22:17, Andrew Newton ha scritto:
Mario,

Response in-line.

On Tue, Mar 21, 2023 at 2:39 AM Mario Loffredo
<mario.loffr...@iit.cnr.it> wrote:
[ML] I refer to the interoperability issues coming from using different JSON
labels to identify the same logical JSON object.>
I understand now and support your approach. Thanks for the example.
And strong normative language seems appropriate.

[ML] Don't see great complexity. Consider that basicly implementing the
deprecation process consists in repeating twice the actions needed to support
the pure extension approach.

I mean, the extension approach requires servers to recognize and support the
jscard parameter for a while and ignore it after the switch.

Instead, the deprecation process requires servers to do exactly the same as
above but first for the jscard parameter and then for the jcard parameter.
However, if you look at this from a client perspective once the client
understands JSContact, it will alway set this parameter. But given not
all servers will be transitioning at the same time, clients will
always need to understand JCard as well. So they will always send both
parameters forever. Therefore, the parameters are useless and just add
complexity.

[ML2] In both approaches, clients will likely issue the jscard parameter beyond the end of the transition. The purpose of the jcard parameter is to let clients to take their time to support JSContact without stop working even for short time.

I'll bring this topic for discussion at next meeting to have a feedback from the WG.

Best,

Mario

-andy

--