On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 18:07, Nikita Danilov wrote:
> Russell Coker writes:
>  > On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:39, Nikita Danilov wrote:
>  > >  > Also here is an entry for swap files:
>  > >  > 0xff6   string  SWAP-SPACE Version 0 Swap file for 4K pages
>  > >
>  > > By the way, I just found that my perfectly valid reiserfs file-system
>  > > triggers above check. It was created on what was earlier swap device
>  > > and mkreiserfs didn't clear first 16 blocks, so put this line after
>  > > ones for reiserfs in your magic file.
>  >
>  > This has been an issue here before.  I think that on a rw mount ReiserFS
>  > should over-write that.
>  >
>  > Has the bug in mkreiserfs been fixed so it can't happen in future?
>
> mkreiserfs leaves first 16 blocks untouched for boot-loaders' sake.
> It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Which boot loader needs so much space?

This boot loader thing apparently isn't a problem for ext2...

Is there a boot loader that depends on having "SWAP-SPACE" or "SWAPSPACE2" at
offset 0xff6?  If not then we could have special-case code which removes the
swap signature without making a boot loader unworkable...