Clifford Beshers wrote:

Thanks for the help everyone. In the end, it turned out that sfdisk is indeed the culprit. We created a 2.1T partition with fdisk, then asked sfdisk for the size and it said: -92,xxx,xxx. Unfortunately, this means we have to either fix it or find an alternate solution to creating partitions.

We can probably fix it for you if you like....

If the word ``parted'' is on the tip of your tongue I'll bet you haven't actually used the thing...

There were a few bugs of ours that acted as red herrings, but Linspire is now up and running on this system with ReiserFS 3 and kernel 2.6.5.

While I'm here, I have some other questions:

* What is the time complexity of mounting a ReiserFS partition? It seems to be proportional to the size of the partition? Is it
different for Reiser4?
* Is there a tool to determine the type of file system on a
partition without mounting it?

is the time a problem in practice, or just a curiousity point?

Cliff

Hans Reiser wrote:

Clifford Beshers wrote:

Thanks Hans, but no need. I found the page in the FAQ about three minutes after I posted. I get so used to google finding me the right things, I occasionally forget to just go to the place I know should have the answers.

So far, I know that sfdisk choked on creating the partition, but that fdisk succeeded. After that the install proceeded normally, but the system didn't reboot. I have to go get details on why, but my guessis either lilo or a missing module in the initrd.

If you want us to research the problem source for you further, let us know. Be suspicious of the device driver....

Hans Reiser wrote:

Vladimir Saveliev wrote:

Hello