Hans Reiser wrote:

Clifford Beshers wrote:

Thanks for the help everyone. In the end, it turned out that sfdisk is indeed the culprit. We created a 2.1T partition with fdisk, then asked sfdisk for the size and it said: -92,xxx,xxx. Unfortunately, this means we have to either fix it or find an alternate solution to creating partitions.

We can probably fix it for you if you like....

I'm going to try the alternatives first and at the same time email the author and the Debian maintainer of sfdisk and ask them what's up.

While I'm here, I have some other questions:

* What is the time complexity of mounting a ReiserFS partition? It seems to be proportional to the size of the partition? Is it
different for Reiser4?

is the time a problem in practice, or just a curiousity point?

Our customers have complained about our boot times, so we've been tracking things down and fixing them. We were doing two passes of mounting everything, one pass to figure out what was there, another to let the traditional 'mountall' init script do its work. We were assuming that the mount times were constant and small. But as the disks are getting bigger, the second mount is noticeable, so we're fixing that. The first mount is definitely noticeable on the 2T machine, but we figure if we do our jobs right, people should rarely be rebooting anyway.

Cliff