What i'm looking for is a check on a reiserfs filesystem that is
mounted read-write. Many modern filesystems, especially those on NAS
devices, can run periodic background consistency checks on filesystems
with almost zero impact on performance. Some devices are reportedly
running these checks constantly, possibly correcting errors without
user intervention... even a notification to a sysadmin would be a good
feature.