Jonathan Briggs writes:

[...]

 > However, query directories (or "smart folders") will have this namespace
 > problem in every case and there is no avoiding it.  If the query is for
 > every file modified in the past day, the file path through the query
 > directory is not going to match any given name of the file.  Same for
 > keyword queries, ownership queries, or whatever.

Which I think exactly points to one fundamental problem with the idea
that names are attributes of object: this idea is incompatible with the
notion of dynamically created "views" that in effect add new paths
through which objects are reachable. These paths _are_ names as far as
user is concerned (after all names exist to reach objects), but they are
not in the name-as-attribute model.

 > In the traditional directory system, a file doesn't have an official
 > name, just links to it from directory entries.  Perhaps if you think of
 > the proposed "name" meta-data as a "preferred name" the idea would work
 > better for you?

Frankly speaking, I suspect that name-as-attribute is going to limit
usability of file system significantly.

Note, that in the "real world", only names from quite limited class are
attributes of objects, viz. /proper names/ like "France", or "Jonathan
Briggs". Communication wouldn't get any far if only proper names were
allowed.

Nikita.