On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:02:01 +0400, Vladimir V. Saveliev wrote:

> Hello
>
> On Wednesday 20 September 2006 22:47, Peter wrote:
>> I booted from a non-reiser4 partition in order to make a backup of my main
>> / which was a r4 partition.
>>
>> After the backup, I unmounted the drive explicitly, then rebooted.
>>
>> I did not use the backed up drive for anything except tar-ring its files.
>>
>> On next boot to the r4 / partition, all kinds of file not found errors
>> occurred. I booted again to my non-r4 partition, and ran fsck.reiser4
>> --check -y there were fatal errors on my r4 /.
>>
>> The backup was fine. I downgraded back to reiserfs which does not exhibit
>> this problem.
>>
>> I have not experienced any problem with other r4 partitions. Just /.
>> /home, /tmp, /src, etc. are fine.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I don't have time to keep wondering where the problem is or
>> why. Perhaps it's the kernel or the init scripts. Nonetheless, the
>> instability of whatever the problem is is unnerving.
>>

> Please provide information about which kernel and which reiser4 did you use.
> Am I correct that you were trying to run gentoo on reiser4?

Yes, Vladimir. When making the backup, I was not running Gentoo at all. I
was running Slackware 10.2. I booted into Slackware with the beyond
patchset (ck superset) based on 2.6.17.11 with the reiser4 2.6.17-3 patch.
All of the work on backup mount and unmount was on Slackware. It was when
rebooting back into Gentoo (with the init and base layout which DID NOT
CAUSE a boot problem) that the fatal errors occurred. Interestingly, and
maybe this is helpful, only the / partition seems to be affected. I have
observed no problematic behavior with any of the other three partitions I
used r4 for. In fact, even though I downgraded / to reiserfs3, the other
r4 partitions work fine. Please let me know if I can provide additional
information.

--
Peter
+++++