On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:27:23 +0000 (UTC)
"Peter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:02:44 +0200, Thomas Kuther wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:18:41 +0000 (UTC)

> >> Yes, Vladimir. When making the backup, I was not running Gentoo at
> >> all. I was running Slackware 10.2. I booted into Slackware with the
> >> beyond patchset (ck superset) based on 2.6.17.11 with the reiser4
> >> 2.6.17-3 patch. All of the work on backup mount and unmount was on
> >> Slackware. It was when rebooting back into Gentoo (with the init
> >> and base layout which DID NOT CAUSE a boot problem) that the fatal
> >> errors occurred. Interestingly, and maybe this is helpful, only
> >> the / partition seems to be affected. I have observed no
> >> problematic behavior with any of the other three partitions I used
> >> r4 for. In fact, even though I downgraded / to reiserfs3, the
> >> other r4 partitions work fine. Please let me know if I can provide
> >> additional information.
> >>

> > 2.6.17-beyond includes -ck1 which includes fcache which is totally
> > evil for reiser4. The old fscache patch in .17-ck1 tends to kill
> > reiser4 /usr here (I assume your /usr is in / then) when
> > rebooting/umounting the partition. Also newer -mm is evil and
> > umount on /usr completely fails here, i have to hard reset the box,
> > but here the partitions stay alive, with the older fcache i had to
> > --build-sb and --fix it, and then remerge all stuff that was lost.
> > Oh and this happens even i didn't enable fcache in kernel config,
> > just the existance of the patch is enough.
> > Strangely it's reproducably and only /usr. So if you run the /usr
> > folder on a reiser4 partition, do NOT use -mm, or at least good luck
> > trying to break out fcache. Reversing the fcache patch from -beyond
> > is easy, just get the broken-out from -ck and patch -R it.
> >
> > HTH
> > Tom
>
> Thanks for the tip, Tom! You're the second person (unless you're the
> same one on the gentoo forums) to mention this. I suspect, with your
> use of the word evil, you're the same! :)
>
> Nonetheless, I lost patience, and did not want to be in a changing
> beta situation as kernels, patches, etc. are all changing at
> different rates of speed. I found this bug both annoying and
> disconcerting. I have one r4 partition left, and since it's not /
> there appear to be no problems.
>
> I assume the various parties involved are all aware of this?

Yes, that was me :)
As i seemed to be the only person hitting that bug, i didn't mention it
here on the list nor on LKML. I just warned the users in the -beyond
and -no sources threads some releases ago ... .17-beyond1 thread
IIRC... and stopped using fcache patched kernels, because i like
my /usr/portage flying on a reiser4 partition ;)

Regards
Tom