On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:02:44 +0200, Thomas Kuther wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:18:41 +0000 (UTC)
> "Peter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:02:01 +0400, Vladimir V. Saveliev wrote:

>> > Please provide information about which kernel and which reiser4 did
>> > you use. Am I correct that you were trying to run gentoo on reiser4?
>>
>> Yes, Vladimir. When making the backup, I was not running Gentoo at
>> all. I was running Slackware 10.2. I booted into Slackware with the
>> beyond patchset (ck superset) based on 2.6.17.11 with the reiser4
>> 2.6.17-3 patch. All of the work on backup mount and unmount was on
>> Slackware. It was when rebooting back into Gentoo (with the init and
>> base layout which DID NOT CAUSE a boot problem) that the fatal errors
>> occurred. Interestingly, and maybe this is helpful, only the /
>> partition seems to be affected. I have observed no problematic
>> behavior with any of the other three partitions I used r4 for. In
>> fact, even though I downgraded / to reiserfs3, the other r4
>> partitions work fine. Please let me know if I can provide additional
>> information.
>>

> 2.6.17-beyond includes -ck1 which includes fcache which is totally evil
> for reiser4. The old fscache patch in .17-ck1 tends to kill reiser4 /usr
> here (I assume your /usr is in / then) when rebooting/umounting the
> partition. Also newer -mm is evil and umount on /usr completely fails
> here, i have to hard reset the box, but here the partitions stay
> alive, with the older fcache i had to --build-sb and --fix it, and
> then remerge all stuff that was lost.
> Oh and this happens even i didn't enable fcache in kernel config, just
> the existance of the patch is enough.
> Strangely it's reproducably and only /usr. So if you run the /usr
> folder on a reiser4 partition, do NOT use -mm, or at least good luck
> trying to break out fcache. Reversing the fcache patch from -beyond is
> easy, just get the broken-out from -ck and patch -R it.
>
> HTH
> Tom

Thanks for the tip, Tom! You're the second person (unless you're the same
one on the gentoo forums) to mention this. I suspect, with your use of the
word evil, you're the same! :)

Nonetheless, I lost patience, and did not want to be in a changing beta
situation as kernels, patches, etc. are all changing at different rates of
speed. I found this bug both annoying and disconcerting. I have one r4
partition left, and since it's not / there appear to be no problems.

I assume the various parties involved are all aware of this?

--
Peter
+++++
jabber: pete4abw at jabber.org