sorry, my last message was not really clear:

I didn't change the kernel, I just disable the preload-scripts
executed by fedora.
I first tried to inlucde the whole KDE stuff but found it to be even
slower so I disabled them completly and now everything works fine :-)

I guess this could be maybe because of the reduced space available for
caching in RAM, because compressed and uncompressed data is cached.

lg Clemens