On 5 November 2015 at 15:53, Edward d'Auvergne <edw...@nmr-relax.com> wrote:
> On 5 November 2015 at 14:05, Christina Möller <c.moel...@fz-juelich.de> wrote:
>> I know that the relaxation data can also be back calculated using the
>> equations 7.3a - 7.8 in the relax manual (PDF), although it is not that
>> trivial for an ellipsoid model because I need to determine the weights. Is
>> there a reason why you define c=1/3(ωH*∆σ)^2 (eq. 7.5) instead of
>> c=2/15(ωN*∆σ)^2 like it can be found in literature?
>
> These two factors come from using CGS vs. SI units.  I have mentioned
> this issue before (see
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.nmr.relax.devel/1023/focus=1034
> ).  I have also started a stub wiki article to help explain these
> differences - http://wiki.nmr-relax.com/CGS_versus_SI . In SI units
> the correct unit (squared) is (ω·∆σ)^2 / 3, and SI units are used
> throughout relax.  This has made some parts of relax more difficult to
> implement as there are many equations in the literature in CGS units,
> and the authors will often not identify this older system.  Some
> stubborn people just prefer the magnetic constant to be 1 rather than
> µ0/(4π), and will not shift from the CGS metric system to the SI
> metric system.

Hi Christina,

The wiki article http://wiki.nmr-relax.com/CGS_versus_SI is now
somewhat improved.  However it doesn't cover all of the NMR constants
yet, as that will be a lot of work to derive.  Anyway, I hope that
helps a little to understand the equation differences seen in the NMR
literature.

Regards,

Edward