From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 6:06 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Warnock

I have been thinking that in Warnock the Circuit Court (8th) focusses on
endorsement because it was unlikely that the teacher could be coerced or
indoctrinated by the religious activity of the Principal at the meetings.
Indeed the facts belie it (he complains avidly, the court call him "strong
willed" and he is an adult) That apparently makes a difference.  The court
saw this as a case where the govt actions at the meetings 'clearly
endorsed' the particular religious position (as in Lynch) and that was
enough to void it.  The court really wants to make a workable rule here --
arguing that it is too hard determine when a particular individual (adult)
will or could reasonably feel subjective coercion.

Susanna Peters

In Warnock v. Archer(6th Cir.8/24/2004),the Sixth Circuit held that a
> teacher's rights were violated when he was as compelled to attend teacher
> training courses that began with prayers. The Court emphasized that the
> violation was not in the coercion to be present when prayers were offered,
> but because, on the facts, the prayers constituted an endorsement of
> religion.  I am puzzled by the court's insistence that coercion was not
> the
> violation, because I thought it settled that coercion to participate in
> official prayers was unconstitutional.
> The case also contains a discussion of the right of public employees to
> display religious items in their offices.
>
>  Marc Stern
> PS-On the power of school officials to exclude religious murals from a
> school construction site (in the school building, see yesterdays;' 11th
> Circuit decision in Bannon V. School District(03-13011). I had filed an
> amicus brief in support of the School District.

posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or
wrongly) forward the messages to others.