As president of a church ("Call this 'organized religion'? I'LL give them organized religion!") I recently had to sign a contract for the sale of real property. We were advised that our attorney has to get court approval for the sale under New York's Religious Corporations Law, which we are told was created to "protect" churches against unscrupulous cliques or something. As I muttered "So why don't secular organizations need to be 'protected'", I thought to ask:

Is imposing additional requirements on organizations classed as religious a form of "viewpoint discrimination"?

If the judge goes around the bend, could we bring a RLUIPA claim on the ground that fiscal survival is essential to our mission?

Does anyone have some hard history about this law?