Now you have made patent your concern:  proselytization.  But you seem to agree that teaching about religion is something other than proselytization.  (As an aside, I always wonder that those with whom we agree never proselyze, they only offer irrefutable arguments, while those whose views are disagreeable are readily described as proselytizing.  There is, it seems, a knee-jerking content to the term that makes it valuable in guiding discussions away from substance.)  I will concede that the First Amendment, as construed in the recent decisions of the Supreme Court, bars proselyzing by school officials (not by students acting on their own).  But will you concede that, at least at the greatest level of generality that there is no constitutional impediment to teaching about religion?

Jim "Can't We All Just Get Along" Henderson
Senior Counsel
ACLJ