Actually, one could reach a different conclusion about “ignoring” religion in the common schools: religion is sufficiently important to so many Americans, but since we hold a wide range of religious or philosophical views, that we respect religion, its uniqueness and its diversity, if we leave it to other non-public institutions to teach about it.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 2:49 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Steven Williams Case - more factual information

In a message dated 12/16/2004 11:54:26 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

It is not wrong to be concerned about stigma and exclusion, as some members of the Court have noted over the years.

But this is why education must including teaching about religion.  Stigma and exclusion attach to the things we disregard, the things we discount, the things we devalue.  Few things more effectively communicate disregard, discounted importance, and devaluation as well as the act of ignoring.

Jim Henderson

Senior Counsel

ACLJ