Eugene:
Are you grounding your analysis here of speech and religion in the text of the
First Amendment?  It seems to my untutored eye that it is precisely "exercise"
of religion that is protected, no?  Is there any reason to think that exercise
of religion might not
be harmful?  I guess my question is whether you see the harm done by religion
as unprotected because of  some constitutional reason (such as, it amounts to
establishment)?  Why would the religious motivation be treated any differently
than an anti-religious
motivation, or a commitment to Millian liberalism, or the will to power?  If
the protection for speech's harm, is that speech is good for democracy, cannot
one make the same argument about much, if not all, religious exercise?

(I'm not defending the principle that there is a right to harm, only looking
for consistency.)

Thanks,
Richard Dougherty