If there is any one dietary demand that cannot be refused, communion wine is it.  The issue came up in the Senate debates on RFRA and by a thumping two-to-one vote, the Senate agreed with me.  If one looks at the question in historical context, the case against denying communion wine is overwhelming.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jamar Steve
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 5:22 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Nullifying RLUIPA

I do think an inmate's dietary demands based on religion could be denied.  I just can't imagine a situation where they would indeed need to be -- where the religious dietary demands are such that compliance is much of burden.  It is not a burden to serve beans as well as beef; chicken as well as pork.

One dietary demand that could be refused:  wine in communion, I should think -- if all alcohol is banned.

Steve