Jim, are you seriously saying that pluralistic and tolerant are not able to mutually exclusive?  A society cannot be both pluralistic and tolerant?  I've never heard tolerance offered in contrast to pluralistic.  I've only ever seen them hand in hand -- we are pluralistic and tolerant of difference that comes along with being pluralistic.  I guess I've missed something.

While I may not substitute salt for sugar, I will use both in one recipe.

Steve