Thanks for the clarification, Jim.  This is a technical use of the terms of which I was not aware.

It seems to me that a pluralistic system (in the more formal sense Jim is using the term) requires tolerance (in a colloquial sense) by all groups concerned.

In a non-technical sense the US is pluralistic -- many various subcultures, even if there is a dominant one.

Steve