It seems to me the thing that distinguishes a holding from an advisory opinion is that the holding results from a competently litigated case. By reversing the judgment on the grounds that Newdown lacked standing, the SC was also asserting that the case was not competently litigated -- i.e. litigated by someone with the interest and standing appropriate to serve as the responsible advocate or adversary for the case.

David

----- Original Message ----- From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Law & Religion issues for Law Academics" <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 10:18 AM
Subject: Re: New Pledge of Allegiance Case,and precential effect of Ninth Cir cuit's earlier Newdow decision

Yes, of course. But in that case -- and in light of the fact that the *judgment* is not binding on future litigants, or on future courts -- what is it, exactly, that makes a holding, or opinion, "binding" on district courts and future panels, in the first place?

The quick answer that comes to mind: Because courts have no authority to
issue "holdings" apart from "judgments" in the first place.  That is,
federal courts can't issue advisory opinions apart from a genuine case or
controversy under Article III.