-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 5:44 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Christianity as taint

        Yet it seems to me that when the government puts up a Christmas
tree, or organizes an Easter egg hunt, or provides egg nog at holiday
parties, it doesn't "tak[e] sides in religious controversies" -- at
least any more than it takes sides in religious controversies by
enacting laws related to abortion or other things that people care
religiously about.  Precisely because the Christmas tree is not itself a
religious symbol, but simply a symbol associated with a religious
holiday, putting up such a tree is not a religious act, and doesn't take
a stand on any religious question.