No, urethra design is not beside the point at all.  Is there an intelligent design explanation for that design?  There is an evolutionary explanation (though not wholly satisfactory to many).  How could such a thing have happened, according to "intelligent design theory?"

The absence of any possible answer to that question points to the lack of science behind ID.  That is the whole issue.

Ed Darrell
Dallas

Perry Dane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Robert Lipkin wrote:

>I would argue that Steve's inference from the facts of "disease, war,
>violence, inequity, inequality, stupidity of some design features
>(knees, elbows,
>eyes)" to the conclusion that no omnipotent, omniscient, and morally perfect
>(lovin! g) deity exists is a perfectly legitimate inference. That is,
>the facts
>of evil and suffering are incompatible with the existence of such a deity,
>and this incompatibility must be explained away for anyone to
>recognize these
>facts but still insist on the deity's existence.

To be fair to the intelligent design folks, their argument
is not that the design of the universe IS intelligent, in the sense
of optimal, or efficient, or morally good, or aesthetically pleasing,
but rather that certain facts of the universe point to it having been
designed BY AN intelligence.

This does not, of course, answer Robert's theological
argument, but it does suggest that the usual anti-intelligent-design
jokes about the proximity of the prostate gland to the urethra are
really beside the point.

Perry

Perry Dane
Professor of Law

Rutg! ers University
School of Law -- Camden
217 North Fifth Street
Camden, NJ 08102

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.camlaw.rutgers.edu/bio/925/

Work: (856) 225-6004
Fax: (856) 969-7924
Home: (610) 896-5702

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private. Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.