In a clear effort in futility,  I wonder if it would be possible to identify some minimalist consensus on the list on this issue; one that reflects Mark’s thoughtful recognition of ID’s current limitations (see below) as well as Brad’s concerns about the overreaching of some evolutionists.

So – suppose someone drafted a statement disclaiming scientific overreaching as in

  1. In the absence of some external force which is not bound by the laws of science, the evidence that we CAN test tells us that evolution is what happened.  If there was a supernatural actor in the process, however, then all bets are off because science cannot test the supernatural."

And then added to it a statement building on Mark’s comment – that

  1. In its current form, or state of development, ID does not provide a framework for identifying testable hypothesis – and as such can not be recognized as science.

Is that a statement list members think school boards can constitutionally, and should, as a matter of policy, endorse?

Alan Brownstein

My sense is that some (or perhaps all) ID proponents think that some features of biological systems were designed but that other features evolved, either independently of design or after implementation of an intelligent design. ID does not, I think, necessarily involve a view that all present features of biological systems were designed. It does not necessarily require that the intelligent designer intervene at every moment or be responsible for every present-day feature. Thus ID and the existence of evolutionary processes are not necessarily incompatible. That's one reason why I think some anti-ID claims are overstated, such as the claim that ID is inconsistent with a scientific understanding of how bacteria evolve immunity to antibiotics, or the claim that examples of poor design falsify ID.

On the other hand, the inability to falsify ID by pointing to poor design is one reason why it may be hard to take ID at this point seriously as a scientific theory. ID seems to be underdefined. When ID proponents identify systematically (rather than item by item) which present-day features (or precursors of present-day features) are the result of intelligent design, then it will be possible to consider whether the theory matches the facts.

Until then, any example of a poorly operating biological feature can be explained as the result of evolutionary processes, and in a sense ID theory will remain nonfalsifiable, with ID proponents able to cherry-pick examples that support, or seem to support, their view. At least that's my sense of the matter.

"In the absence of some external force which is not bound by the laws of science, the evidence that we CAN test tells us that evolution is what happened.  If there was a supernatural actor in the process, however, then all bets are off because science cannot test the supernatural."

    That is what they say when they are being careful.  Some are sloppy, and some deliberately overreach, but that's the claim.  Chris Lund might have meant that putting ID in the biology class or the comparative religion class is a proxy for whether to teach that ID's claim to be science is true.  Or he might have simply meant that government can't teach that a religious view is true, nor can it teach that a religious view is false.  Where ever you put ID in the curriculum, the government would have to be agnostic about its supernatural claims.

Douglas Laycock

University of Texas Law School

727 E. Dean Keeton St.

Austin, TX  78705