A not-very-analytic observation on a Friday afternoon:

I happened to read these posts on the Missouri resolution at about the same time as I was taking a look at a remarkable document called the "Flushing Remonstrance," written in 1657, in which the leaders and citizens of Town of Flushing told Governor Stuyvesant of the then-Dutch colony of New Amsterdam (later, of course, New York) that they would not cooperate with his oppressive measures against the Quakers. The document is often called the first formal statement of religious liberty in the American colonies, and some treat it as one of the direct precursors to the First Amendment. Unsurprisingly, its argument for religious liberty is, in large measure, a religious argument.

It strikes me, for what it's worth, that the Missouri resolution not only contradicts the Constitution (whether it "violates" it is a more complicated question having to do with the status of such legislative expressions of opinion), it also, in the saddest possible way, violates the "law of love, peace, and liberty" referred to in the Flushing Remonstrance. Moreover, with all its talk of majority rights, the Missouri resolution is really more a statement of identity politics by an angry faction than a genuine defense of either religious values in general or even Christianity in particular.

I am also reminded here of Bob Cover's discussion of "commitment." The authors of the Flushing Remonstrance knew that Stuyvesant would end up arresting them, which he did. I am not proposing, of course, that anyone actually test the mettle of the Missouri legislators by arresting them, but I wonder how many of them would have the courage of their convictions if that were the likely outcome of their little legal-literary exercise.

                                Perry