But  "the inevitable discretion in deciding which programs are plausible enough
to get funded" isn't only a practical or political problem, it is a problem of
principle. The principle that make Rosenberger plausible and that underlies the
principle of a forum is that the state abdicates any responsibility for, or
interest in, the expressive activities that occur in the forum. That's why
eveyone can get access to the forum on neutral terms and why it is reasonable
to conclude that the state is not endorsing any of the messages expressed in
the forum.

Once the state's involvement is predicated on furthering state goals, (and that
is the kind of program Marty has been describing), it's not a forum anymore. It
is, in principle, a state funding program and subject to all of the reasons why
the direct funding of religion is problematic.

I think prison chaplains are fundamentally distinguishable because, from a
religious liberty perspective, they do not exist to further the state's
interests (although they may do so incidentally). They are there to make the
exercise of religion possible for prisoners in an environment where government
control would otherwise make religious practice impossible. In that sense, I
would analogize prison chaplains to traditional public forums (streets and
parks). Speech needs public places to occur, and the fact that the government
owns many of those places can't be the basis fordenying speech rights in public
locations. In both cases, the government isn't using its resources to achieve
government goals, it is relinquishing control of its resources to avoid making
it impossible for private persons to exercise their rights -- however they want
to and, for the most part, regardless of the consequences.

Alan Brownstein