Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2006 3:28 PM
Subject: RE: Use of Religion to Achieve Secular Ends

These are serious objections, and they may well be insuperable politically.  But I'm not sure they are insuperable in principle.  These are preliminary thoughts; I have not tried to work through all the practical difficulties in any systematic way.

In the early versions of these programs, they were run by volunteers with outside funding.  That avoids the direct funding question, and it avoids the state urging people to become more religious.  It could be assimilated to forum models.  It is somewhat troubling that only one faith group so far seems much interested in sponsoring such programs.  But I am reluctant to say that that group can't speak and try to help because other groups are less forthcoming.

We could expand the forum with government funding -- the government could offer to pay for any programatically plausible private rehab effort, from any faith or secular perspective, with careful safeguards to avoid coercing any prisoner into a religious program.  (That may in fact be impossible if there are not secular alternatives adequate to meet all demand.  No matter what the food or conditions, and no matter what the prison officials say, prisoners may figure that participation in a rehab program will be rewarded.)  The model here would be Rosenberger, a publicly funded forum, where the Court also permitted direct funding of the teaching of religion.  The real problems in my view are not with direct funding, but with the inevitable discretion in deciding which programs are plausible enough to get funded.

The restrictions on direct funding may be necessarily relaxed in the prison environment, for the same reason we permit prison chaplains.  There can be no religious exercise of any kind in prison without substantial cooperation by government.  If private funding produces only on religious perspective, and government funding produces a variety of religious and secular perspectives, government funding may be better than private funding for religious liberty in this context.