Unfortunately, those who favor and embrace the tyranny of the majoirty (like Rick) never think about what it would be like to be the minority; rather they glory in the ability to oppress those who are not ike them. It is as old story in America.

Paul Finkelman

Ed Brayton wrote:
Rick Duncan wrote:

Here is the way I look at it. "One poor kid" tried to censor his classmates with the help of a powerful legal ally, the ACLU. His classmates did not like being silenced by the "poor kid." So they made a stand--not to ostracize the poor kid, but to stand up for their liberty of religious expression at their own commencement. They did not violate the spirit of the EC. The spirit of the EC deals with government coercion and religion. The true spirit of the Religion Clause is on the side of the students who would not be cowed and silenced by the ACLU and the unelected judiciary. I am proud of these kids. I hope their spirit spreads to many other schools and impacts many other commencements. There is no need to ask school officials to sponsor prayer. All students need to do is pray: without asking for endorsement or permission from government authorities.

Just once, I'd really like to see a couple of Christian students at a graduation ceremony forced to sit through supplications to Allah and have a majority of Muslim students booing them as they get their diploma because they dared to object. I suspect a whole lot of the folks would switch sides in this debate very, very quickly.

Ed Brayton

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private. Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor

918-631-3706 (office)