This isn't an area of my speciality, but it seems to me that, simply as a matter
of positive law, the relevant decided cases -- that is, the decided cases
dealing more or less directly with the asserted conflict between free speech
and antidiscrimination law -- weigh strongly against Eugene's assertion.
(After all, he's written quite a few articles pointing out how wrong the lower
courts are.)  Maybe the law should be as Eugene describes it -- although on
that see below -- but it's not at all clear to me that it "is" that.  (And, as
a jurisprudential matter, it seems to me, one ought to take decided cases into
account, along with general principles of course, in figuring out what the law
is and what it should be.  The common lawyer in me thinks that judges with
responsibility for deciding actual cases might develop principles more attuned
to the problems they see before them than they -- or we -- would by reflecting
on First Amendment generalities.  Common lawyers, as Louis Henkin put it, draw
lines all the time -- principled lines -- informed by the particulars of the
cases before them without degenerating into making ad hoc rulings on the basis
of those particulars.)

And, on a more normative note, I would think that a position, which seems to me
Eugene's, that Lester Maddox had a valid First Amendment right to refuse
service to African Americans at his restaurant (because the law requiring him
to provide such service would place a substantial burden, and for viewpoint
related reasons, on his right to express his deeply held racist views by means
of expressive conduct) says something very bad about the state of the First
Amendment law as Eugene would construct it.
--
Mark Tushnet
William Nelson Cromwell Professor of Law