I don't think that's right, under New York law.  McKinney's Civil
Rights Law ยง 40A states that "place of public accommodation, resort or
amusement ... shall be deemed to include ... retail stores and establishments,"
among a very long list of other places.  And the same would likely be true in
other states, such as Massachusetts, Minnesota, or New Jersey; if a parade, a
Rotary Club, or the Boy Scouts is a place of public accommodations, I'd think
that a retail store (whether it sells books or something else) would be the
same.  In any event, in New York one can't use the definition of "public
accommodation" (at least if that's a state law test, as opposed to some
hitherto undefined essence-of-place-of-public-accommodation definition) to
distinguish bookstores from skating rinks.