All of the suggestions that have been made in response to this
question (religion clause issues likely to come to the Roberts Court)
have been insightful..But does anyone know of any real and sharp
conflicts among the federal courts of appeals or the state supreme
courts on the issues that have been identified?

On the issues that I know best (those involving the faith-based
initiative), I don't see such conflicts, primarily because the government
defendants have rarely appealed the cases they have lost in the lower
courts.  The Iowa prison case will be an exception to that, but I don't
foresee any sharply defined circuit court conflict coming out of that
appeal.  Perhaps an affirmance of the restitution order against
InnerChange would produce a cert petition and a grant, because of the
novelty of the question.

Chip Lupu

On 25 Jul 2006 at 10:32, Berg, Thomas C. wrote:

> Direct aid to religious schools and institutions in general: there may
> be five votes now for the Thomas plurality opinion in Mitchell v.
> Helms that (at least) direct aid on an equal per-capita basis is
> permissible.  The direct-aid  vs. private-choice distinction has been
> relevant in litigation in the last five years with respect both to
> education programs (e.g. Columbia Union College, 4th CIr.) and to
> social services programs (e.g. Faith Works case, 7th CIr.), suggesting
> that a program that tested the contours or continuing validity of the
> distinction may be litigated soon.
>
> Tom Berg
> University of St. Thomas School of Law (MInnesota)
>
>   _____

Ira C. ("Chip") Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law
The George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington D.C 20052

(202) 994-7053

[EMAIL PROTECTED]