From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Ed Brayton
Sent: Tue 7/25/2006 2:43 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: The Roberts Court

Volokh, Eugene wrote:

>       I was thinking about the Mt. Soledad case, but it may not be
>optimal from the conservatives' viewpoint, since it's an overtly
>Christian symbol.  The line Scalia drew in the Ten Commandments cases
>seemed to be between the Christian symbols and Judeo-Christian-Muslim(?)
>symbols, with the former generally not allowed and the latter allowed.
>The Mt. Soledad cross could still be upheld on some specific grounds,
>for instance that it's in context likely to be seen as a war memorial
>and not just a cross (I'm skeptical of that on the facts, but that's one
>possible argument) -- but these grounds may be too fact-specific to
>warrant full Court review.  So I'd think that the conservatives on the
>Court might prefer a more Ten-Commandments-like case.

I would be more than happy to take bets on whether Scalia would redraw
that line if the Mt. Soledad case reaches the court. I predict that such
line-drawing will be non-existent in his judgement on that case.

Ed Brayton

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private.  Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.