I think Eugene is right. This is, at its core, a content-based
restriction on speech. The context, in my judgment, is primarily
relevant to three questions: whether the penalty on speech can be
justified because of the consequences of the speech, whether the context
is such that we want to view this expression as something other than
speech (some kind of conduct) or  whether we view this as some kind of
speech that is not protected by the first amendment. It is never been
clear to me which of these reasons explains why certain kinds of
expressive activities can be punished as harassment - but clearly it is
permissible to punish harassment in certain circumstances. The tort of
IIED raises a similar mystery. I'm not suggesting that there isn't an
answer that justifies at least some applications of the cause of action.
But I don't think courts have told us what that answer is yet.

I would prefer that the situation in this case (and others like it) be
resolved by statutory limits on disruptive speech on public property
adjacent to places like cemeteries, funeral homes, hospitals etc..  The
benefit of a statute is that it can designate the contexts which we
consider totally inappropriate for extremely hurtful speech at specific
times and places. IIED leaves that question up to the discretion of
juries.

Alan Brownstein