From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 10:17 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Anti-gay church verdict

    Yet surely the claim must have been based on the content of the speech as
well as the time, place, and manner.  It's extremely unlikely that a jury would
find friendly, neutral, or even respectfully disagreeing demonstrating outside
a funeral to be "outrageous" enough to create severe emotional distress.  So
under standard First Amendment doctrine, this is *not* a TPM restriction, any
more than the restrictions in Carey v. Brown, Boos v. Barry, or a wide range of
other cases were TPM restrictions -- it must be judged as the content-based
restriction that it is.

    Eugene