I'm largely (90%?) in agreement with Eugene, but I'd add a slight caveat.  I
think that some (small?) part of the "offensiveness" or "invasion of privacy"
here is, indeed, the mere presence of "strangers" in close proximity to the
funeral - an event that, as a matter of social custom, decency, and respect for
the dead and their families, ordinarily is confined to those who are in some
broad sense "invited guests" who wish to participate in or observe the ceremony.

Compare Frisby on targeted picketing.  If my house is the target of picketing,
I think that some (small?) part of the offensiveness or invasion-of-privacy
concern is that a stranger is persistently standing right in front of my house
- even though he is on public property and is not legally trespassing.  It
bothers me simply that he is *there*; that he's not moving on.  (I'd be
concerned even if the person carried a blank picket sign or carried no sign at
all and said nothing at all.)

To this limited extent, in both Frisby and in the funeral context, the harm is
grounded in part on an intangible "privacy" concern about the presence of
strangers, which might be characterized as a concern about conduct and which is
independent of any message.

Dan Conkle
Daniel O. Conkle
Robert H. McKinney Professor of Law