I think many would agree that this resolution is unfortunate pandering to a
constituency who believe that there is an organized and declared "war on
Christmas." For evidence of that war, they cite items like my local home
store's policy of saying "Happy Holidays" to a large number of Jews, athiests,
pagans (and even a handful Kwanzaa practitioners) who shop at the same midtown
Memphis location as many Christians, both mainline and evangelical. Clerks at
this store are predominately pentecostal African Americans who can tell us all
to "Have a blessed day!" eleven months of the year, and everybody is happy.

 Or my midtown Memphis big box retailer who chooses not to subject customers
(many of whom never carry cash) to bell ringers during the Holiday shopping
season. The Salvation Army is a fine organization. I have nothing but good to
say about them. They are opening a multi-million dollar community center in my
neighborhood. But sometimes the people working the buckets for the various
organizations who collect money at Christmas are borderline derelicts.

 I can see, and I think most reasonable people would agree, that these
practices are simply designed to increase commercial revenue, rather than
representing an attack on Christian principles or the overwrought "heritage" of
practitioners. The Constitution is as much about property rights and commerce
as is about anything else.

 As for the actual resolution, which

 "(3) acknowledges the international religious and historical importance of
Christmas and the Christian faith;

 (4) acknowledges and supports the role played by Christian and Christianity in
the founding of the United States and in the formation of the western
civilization;

 (5) rejects bigotry and persecution directed against Christians, both in the
United States and worldwide..."

 I wonder if it is broadminded enough to acknowledge and support the CAGANER in
my decidedly non mainstream nativity scene. I hope everyone will look at these
links and enjoy some Holiday diversity. You really shouldn't skip this. It's
fun and you might learn something.

http://100percentinjuryrate.blogspot.com/2007/11/nothing-says-christmas-like-defecating.html

http://deadspin.com/sports/pau-gasol-poops/something-for-the-grizzlies-fan-who-has-everything-326345.php

 CAGANER -- This one explains it.