We recently had a discussion in my jurisprudence class about the moral
difference between doing an act and allowing it to happen. I know some people
disagree, but I think there often is a real difference. In relation to paying
taxes that support activities that a taxpayer finds morally or religiously
reprehensible, I wonder whether it could make sense for the government to
accommodate those concerns of conscience by setting up a kind of easy
involuntary tax payment program.

A taxpayer could inform the IRS that he or she declines to pay a portion of the
tax that is due, in which case the taxpayer would be required to provide
information on a bank account. The account could be a regular checking or
savings account not specifically funded by the taxpayer for this purpose, but
nevertheless on in which there are likely to be sufficient funds to cover the
unpaid taxes. The IRS then would levy on that account, under a streamlined
process that could be set up as part of the program, and collect the tax plus a
fee or penalty (maybe 5% of the unpaid amount plus interest, say, from Jan. 1
of the tax year) to cover the cost of the program and to provide a disincentive
for casual use of it. So long as the account held sufficient funds to cover the
amount of the levy, there would be no additional fees or penalties.
Alternatively, a taxpayer could be required to notify the IRS before the
beginning of the taxable year that he or she intended to refuse to pay some
portion of the income tax due, and the IRS could collect an estimated amount in
advance from such a bank account.

I realize that as a practical matter this could be hard to coordinate with tax
withholding, and I would not support a program that could not be used by the
typical wage earner. But perhaps something could be worked out. (I suppose the
whole tax withholding system could be seen as a kind of involuntary payment
program, under which the employer withholds amounts based on information
provided by the employee, with the result that perhaps the employee could be
seen as not acting to pay the tax. Maybe most of us therefore already have the
kind of program I'm suggesting!)

In any event, I wondered whether list members think that such a program would
provide any real relief for taxpayers whose consciences are violated by paying
taxes for programs that violate their moral or religious beliefs. Is the
requirement of funding a bank account and providing information so that the IRS
can levy any less of a burden on conscience than a requirement simply to pay
the tax? Would a truly conscientious objector to paying taxes for such
government activities violate his or her conscience by providing information
about the account or by placing/leaving enough money in the account to cover
the IRS levy? Or is it really different to have the IRS take the money from you
(even if you obeyed the law by making it easy for the IRS to do so) rather than
paying it yourself?

[To relate this to current political issues: Would a person be effectively
disqualified from service as a government official in a new administration
(e.g., secretary of Health and Human Services in a 2017 Bobby Jindal
administration) if the person had suffered such a tax levy for refusing to pay
taxes to support a prior administration's activities (e.g., massive federal
funding of human fetal stem cell or chimera research under the Obama
administration)?]

Mark S. Scarberry
Pepperdine Univ. School of Law

<<winmail.dat>>