From: Douglas Laycock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lack of sincerity
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Date: Friday, August 1, 2008, 1:16 PM

I think Eugene is dead on about why judges concede sincerity.  What's missing
from his analysis is the frequent insincerity of the finding of sincerity --
and the costs of that practice.
  Nat Lewin, who often represents Orthodox Jewish groups in religious liberty
cases, said this years ago, and he persuaded me.  Judges often say that a
plaintiff is sincere, or that the judge assumes he is sincere, without actually
believing that he's sincere.  Then, since an insincere plaintiff should lose,
they make sure he loses on some other ground, usually burden or compelling
interest -- even if they have to interpret those issues in ways that undermine
the whole purpose of the statute or constitutional provision they claim to be
enforcing.  And so we get bad precedents on burden and compelling interest,
created for the insincere plaintiff but applicable to all plaintiffs, sincere
and insincere alilke.
  Of course this is easy to suspect and hard to prove.  But I think it goes on.