I'm inclined to agree with Alan here -- many of us genuinely
believe that those things that are good and pleasant for us are also
good for our souls.  There's nothing particularly inconsistent about
someone's feeling a religious motivation to alter his mental state using
marijuana; Rastafarians apparently sincerely believe in that, many Jews
do as to Passover and (perhaps less strongly) Purim, Native Americans do
as to peyote (though I understand peyote use is unpleasant in some ways
as well as intriguing to many in other ways).  It's true that the common
secular desire to do the same thing may put one on guard about the
possibility of insincerity.  But it's hardly very telling evidence, and
I would think many judges would be rightly reluctant to deny someone's
exemption claim based on a weak inference from possibility of
self-interest, coupled with difficult calls about demeanor.

        As to previous espousal of the belief, coupled with temporal
connection with motive, that too seems dicey.  Frazee stresses that
long-standing belief is not required as a matter of law, and people do
change their beliefs; every day there are probably thousands of people
who have sincerely believed but new religious beliefs.  Likewise, people
sometimes only come to believe something (or come to believe it deeply)
when some event prods them to really consider it for the first time.  A
conscientious objector, for instance, may not have thought much about
whether his God lets him shoot at people until he is first faced with
the prospect.  (Many people often reflect on moral hypotheticals, and
perhaps that's the better approach for one's moral or religious
education; but many don't have that sort of hypothetical mindset.)  A
Jew who never saw the spiritual benefits of observing Shabbat might
sincerely come to this realization after seeing the toll on his family
life (an important component of Jewish religious life) and on his
spiritual peace that his Saturday work is having.

        Finally, I agree with Eric and Doug that judges who are
reluctant to find absence of sincerity may therefore hold for the state
on substantial burden or compelling interest grounds.  But I'm not sure
that fully responds to the third point I raised, which is that the state
has a distinct interest in having its denial of a religious exemption
approved for all cases as a matter of law, rather than accepted in one
particular case because a litigant is found to have been insincere.
Among other things, it is often state administrators who have to first
decide whether to grant an exemption.  If a court says "no need for such
exemptions," the administrators can quickly dispose of the requests.
But if there is no such decision, then administrators have to try to
decide sincerity themselves in the first instance, and then expect
appeals to judges or juries who will then determine sincerity anew.