From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Eric Rassbach
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2008 1:51 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Lack of sincerity

I agree that judges (and government agencies) are reluctant to make sincerity
findings, even in the prisoner context where sincerity is an acknowledged
problem.  But I think it would be useful for these judges to apply a sincerity
test where they can, since it is a predicate factual question to almost every
religious liberty claim.

And although I take on board Eugene's points below, I think there are some
indicia that can properly be used to evaluate sincerity.  Self-interest or
ulterior motive is often a very good indicator in the prison context, cf.
Church of the New Song, but also elsewhere.  We here are contacted fairly
frequently by folks who want to start a Church of Marijuana or start an
otherwise banned Church of Universal Love and Music outdoor concert series.
Courts should not be bashful about deciding, based on the emphasis on the
ulterior motive and demeanor, that these potential plaintiffs are insincere.  I
think a court can also look at the history of the belief, for example whether
the person has previously espoused the belief, or if it is closely connected in
time with the ulterior motive.

Eugene's procedural point is the strongest - sincerity is a factual question
and does have to come after summary judgment etc., if it is disputed.  However,
sometimes the case will proceed in a way that sincerity comes up earlier (e.g.
injunctive relief).  And courts could hold mini-trials on sincerity if they
believed it would dispatch the case quickly.

I think Eugene's third point actually cuts the other way.  Insincere plaintiffs
generally make bad law for sincere plaintiffs.  Baranowski v. Hart, 486 F.3d
112, 126 (5th Cir. 2007) is an example I'm familiar with that demonstrates this
point.  In that case, the plaintiff came in to prison declaring himself to be
Catholic, later changed his designation to Jewish and subsequently requested
kosher food.  When that was denied, he sued pro se and then appealed when he
lost in district court.  During the pendency of the appeal, he stopped
participating in Jewish activities in prison, stopped responding to the court
in the case, and then changed his religious designation within prison from
Jewish to "None".  Given this narrative, I think the 5th Circuit could have
decided that, or at least convened a hearing on whether, Mr. Baranowoski had
been sincere in his claim to be Jewish.  (Disclosure: we asked the Fifth
Circuit to do that, but it did not grant our request.)  The Fifth Circ!
 uit dropped a footnote in its opinion saying that neither side had raised the
issue of sincerity.  But of course Mr. Baranowski had no interest in raising
the sincerity issue.  And Texas would have no interest in raising the issue
where it seemed clear that it would obtain favorable precedent from the Court.
Thus someone who no longer considered himself Jewish (and may well never have)
made it much more difficult for sincere, observant Jewish prisoners to obtain
kosher dietary accommodation in prison.  Had the Court looked into the
sincerity question, it never would have reached the substantial burden question
or the CGI/LRM analysis.  Since the Constitution (and RLUIPA) are designed to
protect only sincere plaintiffs, my feeling is that this is a bad result and
should be avoided where possible.