Ted,

A group of religious liberty scholars (several of them on this list, including
me) filed an amicus brief supporting the cert petition arguing that the
standard the 9th Circuit used to dismiss this case (for lack of a substantial
burden under RFRA) could have far-reaching effects, including on cases
involving prisoner religious claims and church land-use claims.
http://narf.org/sct/navajonationvusfs/amicus_of_religious_liberty_law_scholars.pdf
  There was a similar brief from religious organizations, all of them
Christian.
http://narf.org/sct/navajonationvusfs/amicus_of_religious_organizations.pdf  If
the 9th Circuit follows its language broadly, the effects could be large.  If
it limits its rule to federal-land issues or allegedlly purely spiritual harms,
the effects on serious religious claims of non-Native-American faiths will
probably be smaller.

Thomas C. Berg
St. Ives Professor of Law and Associate Dean for Academc Affairs
University of St. Thomas School of Law
MSL 400, 1000 LaSalle Avenue
Minneapolis, MN   55403-2015
Phone: (651) 962-4918