I think Prof. Berg hits it about right as far as the possible breadth of the decision, but, as is common, we don't really know what it means until the next case. For my part, I don't read the court language as very broad at all and I read the case as easily distinguishable from most cases Christians would bring. I think this case is just another in the line of cases which limit Constitutional protection to land-based and pagan earth worship-based claims in the face of even modest governmental interests with respect to the land. Understood in context of the facts of the case, the troublesome phrase is much, much more limited. The court seems to be saying that since there is no claim that is cognizable with respect to something real in which there is a protected interest, we are not going to protect against feelings being hurt.

Surely this is correct or we end up with a unit veto problem not based just on exercise=action, but on subjective feelings and beliefs.

Going back to Reynolds, one comes back to distinction between being able to believe or feel anything or emotionally respond to actions in any way you want, but the government can limit your action -- your acting on those beliefs, feelings, and emotional responses.

The court did not say "you can't treat the mountain as holy" nor did it say "you cannot feel emotionally and spiritually wounded because of the recycling of water" -- it just said that the right of free exercise (constitutional or RFRA-based) does not extend that far.

So, I think it has next to no significance to Christianity in general -- except perhaps the next manifestation of the Virgin Mary bleeding from a tree about to be cut for lumber would not be protected under RFRA.

Steve