Vance-- I think what troubles me most about your posts on this topic is the
assumption that a "highly influential social subset" is "insidiously'?raising
the bar to protect children.??Who is in this "subset"?? In fact, the bar is
being raised by those who are doing scientific research into child behavior and
needs, the increasingly vocal survivors of child maltreatment, and those who
are on the front lines working to create a more protective sphere for children,
e.g., the National Association of Regulatory Agencies.? The American Academy of
Pediatrics also?is on the leading edge of protecting children from harm,
including in families.?? Vilifying those who are working out of a
child-protective position does not legitimate a religious exemption.??

In any event, this?thread started with the?Wisconsin case involving the death
of a child based on medical neglect, not corporal punishment or
non-life-threatening treatment/procedures like circumcision.? Getting back to
the death scenario--- ?I think there should be no criminal or civil?religious
exemption for medical neglect resulting in the death or disability of a child,
and that states need to punish parents who cross this line and educate the
public that?parents will be punished for failure to act in these
circumstances.? The civil side is also?very important, because?if a?religious
parent permits a child to die and?a divorced spouse is not in the home to
prevent it, the divorced spouse is suffering a grievous loss.??Moreover,
religious entities and co-believers?that encourage such neglect should be named
co-defendants.??

Are there?those on the list who would disagree with?where I have drawn the line?

Marci

Marci A. Hamilton
Paul R. Verkuil Chair in Public Law
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law