From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Paul Finkelman
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 3:43 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Wisconsin convicts parents for denial of medical treatment

Vance's response smacks of "red baiting."  Because Communists use science he
does not trust it?

The KKK uses he Cross on its Robes?  So I suppose we should all be careful of
anyone professing to be a Christian?  The Oklahoma City Bombers were veterans
and "patriots" so beware of anyone who argued for patriotism?

I wonder what Vance means by "so-called science" -- Biology (which surely deals
with human behavior) does not apply in his world?  Medical science (another of
those "human sciences) is a "so-called" science -- so that if a physician
testifies that a the bruises on a child were caused by a use of force by a much
stronger human being (the parent beat the child) he will reject this as
"so-called" science.

As for anecdotal evidence, we have very good evidence (even anecdotal evidence
that apparently works better for Vance than other kinds)  that most people who
end up doing serious harm to others were abused, beating, "bruised," etc. by
their parents.

----
Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, NY 12208

518-445-3386 (p)