Rick writes "If all groups must allow everyone and anyone to participate in the
formation of its beliefs, there will be no diversity of ideas in the
marketplace. Just a lot of watered down, least common denominators of
expression."

But this is more fantasy and fear.  Students do and will self-select.  The
moderate feminists group will not take over the radical feminists group.  The
Republicans and Democrats will not co-opt each other and form the single
political group of the "mushy middles." Groups can form and reform at will
(most schools require only a very small number of students to form a new,
recognized group.)
What some on the list seem concerned about is a group's right to maintain a
constant and religiously orthodox message.  Congregations have every right to
insist on that, and to chose members, leaders, and even attendees at worship or
lectures accordingly.  But state schools do not have to support a structure
that protects religiously orthodox messages.  The forum can have many purposes,
including not only diversity (which Hastings and others will inevitably have),
but the opportunity for students to join a group and challenge its orthodoxy
(however infrequently that happens, because of self-selection, exit options,
and mutual forbearance).  It's that "right to join and challenge" purpose that
the all-comers policy may advance.  And that purpose -- quite legitimate in
this context -- is in perfect tension with the "right to exclude" that CLS
advances in this case.

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053